BREEAM: refrigeration technology contributes to higher score
Refrigeration systems contribute to achieving BREEAM excellence. BREEAM (BRE Environmental Assessment Method) is the leading and most widely used environmental assessment method for buildings. It sets the standard for best practice in sustainable design and has become the de facto measure used to describe a building's environmental performance. An energy-efficient and environmentally-friendly cooling system ensures a higher overall score. The use of natural refrigerants and energy-saving components assist in achieving BREEAM excellence.
Experience with BREEAM
Nijssen was a supplier in various projects with a good BREEAM score. Refrigeration technology provides opportunities to gain the maximum level of BREEAM credits, e.g. by:
- Application of natural refrigerants, e.g. NH3 and CO2;
- Increased efficiency by frequency controlled screw compressors;
- Energy efficiency with economiser;
- Application of energy efficient air-cooled condensers;
- Saving water consumption by application of hybrid condensers;
- Heat recovery from oil cooling and compressed gases;
- Energy efficiency by weather-compensated and capacity-dependent control system.
BREEAM: opportunities for building owners
Sustainable building and responsible management of real estate are becoming increasingly important. More and more newbuilding projects are designed and realized to qualify for a BREEAM-NL certificate. A BREEAM label increases value and tax benefits are available. It is a widely respected eco-label that is also commercially beneficial. Market parties increasingly choose properties that have at least three BREEAM stars. In addition, a BREEAM label also creates awareness within the supplier chain.
Independent assessment determines BREEAM score
To be eligible for a BREEAM label, a building must be inspected during design and after delivery by an independent, accredited inspector. On the basis of 110 parts, divided into nine chapters, credits are awarded. Based on the total score, one to five stars will be awarded, with one star for 'pass' and five stars for 'outstanding'.
- Kloosterboer: Cool Port (refrigeration technology meets criteria for BREEAM Outstanding, 5 star)
- Kloosterboer Velsen (Daalimpex): expansion cold store Velsen (in Dutch) (BREEAM Outstanding, 5 star)
- Kloosterboer: multifunctional refrigeration systems Delta Terminal (BREEAM Very Good, 3 star)
- Berkhout Langeveld (Ter Beke): increasing demand for pre-packaged meat products (BREEAM Very Good, 3 star)
- Van Oers United: new processing and expedition center in Dinteloord (in Dutch) (BREEAM Outstanding, 5 star)
- Van Gelder: new Experience Center and processing and expedition center in Ridderkerk (in Dutch) (BREEAM Outstanding, 5 star)