Capitalizing on expertise and experience from numerous climate projects for science customers, Nijssen provides scalable and highly energy-efficient solutions for indoor production.
City farming is gaining momentum. Indoor climate-controlled food-growing facilities have been sprouting up in cities worldwide. Urban population is increasing and consumers are increasingly interested in locally sourced, all-natural foods. And climate change will impact conventional agriculture more and more.
"We're growing in 16 days what otherwise takes 30 days in a field — using 95 percent less water, about 50 percent less fertilizers, zero pesticides,herbicides, fungicides." (CEO Vertical Farm)
Defining optimal growth recipes
New technology is driving down costs and processes are improving. Collecting data plays an important role. Optimal growth conditions are specific for every crop and each growth stage.
Conduct your own research with MyGrowthRoom
MyGrowthRoom facilitates integrated testing of light, temperature and RH - with great precision. Firthermore, MyGrowthRooms technology is easily scalable to a city farming production setting.
- Fully controlled environment
- Higher yields per m2
- Seasonality eliminated: year round production
- Diminished need for soil, fertilizer and pest control
- Lower CO2 footprint and less environmental impact
- Lower water usage - with recycling options
- Production closer to market: less spoilage and reduced transportation costs